Our history is important to us, both as an inspiration and a guide. Click through the images on the timeline below to follow the Bruderhof’s history.
The Bruderhof was founded in 1920 in Germany by the Protestant theologian Eberhard Arnold, his wife Emmy, and her sister Else von Hollander. Seeking answers to the devastation of post-war society, and frustrated by the silence of the established church in the face of widespread chaos, they left Berlin and moved to the remote village of Sannerz. There, inspired by the example of the first Christians in Jerusalem, they started a community with a small group of fellow Christians.